A belyana Volga River timber raft. These vessels were built from white (without bark) timber, thus, its name means “made of white wood.” Each vessel was constructed for only one journey, made by pine logs or timber intricately lashed together.
” John D Spreckels — Brigantine “ … A brigantine of 267 tons, was launched at the head of Mission Creek in 1880. She was built by Matthew Turner for Spreckels’ Hawaiian sugar trade. Like most of the vessels in that run, she carried passengers and was heavily rigged, including topmast stunsails which can been seen extended like giant wings in this picture.
Photo: San Francisco Maritime National Historical Museum